Lifting Some Restrictions on Encryption Exports

David G. Koontz david_koontz at xtra.co.nz
Fri Dec 5 15:51:41 EST 2008

Ali, Saqib wrote:
> Does anyone have more info on the following:
> http://snurl.com/75m3f
>
> I couldn't find any other article that talked about it. The pay per
> news is the only item I found.

It was tough to google for, because of all of the new references to Clinton
era articles.

google 'encryption "export restrictions"  2008' (past month)

http://www.governmentcontractslawblog.com/2008/11/articles/export-controls/encryption-export-restrictions-loosened-under-new-rules-that-reduce-prereview-and-reporting-requirements/

>From this article you can see that the restrictions have had the effect of
driving cryptographic software development offshore:
http://www.governmentcontractslawblog.com/2008/11/articles/export-controls/new-export-rules-revise-de-minimis-provisions-allowing-bundled-software-to-be-included-in-commodity-valuation-clarifying-terms-and-reducing-reporting-requirements/

(Mostly European companies, I understand)

The first link has a link to the Federal Register to 'see the word of the law':

http://www.governmentcontractslawblog.com/uploads/file/GovConNov.pdf
Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 193 / Friday, October 3, 2008 / Rules and
Regulations  Pages 57495 through 57512

The PDF file is 124 KB.

17 pages plus a couple of column inches on the 18th page, too long to copy
here.