"Cube" cryptanalysis?

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Tue Aug 19 20:37:00 EDT 2008

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Greg, assorted folks noted, way back when, that Skipjack looked a lot
> like a stream cipher.  Might it be vulnerable?

Hmmm, interesting. I'm getting increasingly closer to talking through my
hat, but...

Skipjack has an 8x8 S-box, so by definition the maximum degree of the
polynomials for a trip through the S-box is 8 (but it could be lower...
I don't know off the top of my head). There are 32 rounds, but each word
gets hit only in every fourth round... that is, each word gets hit 8
times. So the degree from beginning to end should be 64, probably out of
range. However Adi mentioned a variant where you sort of "meet in the
middle", where you have one set of equations to get to some particular
bit in the middle from the plaintext, and you get to the same bit
backwards from the output bits, and by definition the two polynomials
are equal. This should halve the degree, to around 32, if I've
understood correctly. With an 80 bit key the attack might be more
efficient than brute force. Again from memory the complexity was
O(n*2^2d+n^2), (n-bit key, d degree) for skipjack this might be about
2^70. Skipjack's nearly non-existent key schedule really helps. This
might be a good project for a grad student.

Enough speculation from me... but I'll try to corner Adi later and ask
him some of the questions that have been burning in my mind.

Greg.