Just update the microcode (was: Re: defending against evil in all layers of hardware and software)

John Ioannidis ji at tla.org
Tue Apr 29 00:46:04 EDT 2008

alex at alten.org wrote:
> No need to be a major power.  Linux patches x86 code, as does Windows.  I ran across a project several years ago that modified the microcode for some i/o x86 assembly instructions.  Here's a good link explaining it all.

What the OS or the BIOS loads is files that come from Intel.

There is some verification involved, as the processor won't just accept
random bytes. You'll need a fair amount of money, as well as
intelligence expertise, to get hold of the signing keys, not to mention
the documentation for how to write microcode in the first place.  I
assume that's one of Intel's (and AMD's) closest-guarded secrets.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode

"It must be true, I read it on the Internet" :)

> All this hw/sw flexibility makes designing a good security system a real challenge.  You need a reference monitor somewhere in it that you can truly trust.
>
> - Alex

That we agree on!

/ji