Just update the microcode (was: Re: defending against evil in all layers of hardware and software)

alex at alten.org alex at alten.org
Tue Apr 29 00:12:14 EDT 2008

No need to be a major power.  Linux patches x86 code, as does Windows.  I ran across a project several years ago that modified the microcode for some i/o x86 assembly instructions.  Here's a good link explaining it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode

All this hw/sw flexibility makes designing a good security system a real challenge.  You need a reference monitor somewhere in it that you can truly trust.

- Alex