Cruising the stacks and finding stuff

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Apr 21 14:06:17 EDT 2008

Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:02:28PM -0700, Allen wrote:
>
>> Granted A5/1 is known to be very weak, but how much weaker than
>> AES-128? Ten orders of magnitude? I haven't a clue ...
>
> This is usually the point where I stop reading. Of course 10 orders of
> magnitude is ~33 bits, so unless the A5 attacks crack a cipher with ~95
> bits security, the estimate is grossly wrong.
>
> If (generously) A5 is 64 bits of work, AES is ~20 orders of magnitude
> stronger.

Oh, what the heck. Here's my expanded version of Victor's remark.

The effective key length of A5/1 is actually 54 bits because 10 of the
64 key bits are fixed at 0. However, the attacks that have been done
recently are not, in fact, mere brute force but are far more
sophisticated than that. Thus, the time difference between
(intelligently) attacking A5/1 and brute forcing AES with 128 bit keys
is far worse than 20 orders of magnitude.

How bad is brute force here for AES? Say you have a chip that can do
ten billion test keys a second -- far beyond what we can do now. Say
you have a machine with 10,000 of them in it. That's 10^17 years worth
of machine time, or about 7 million times the lifetime of the universe
so far (about 13x10^9 years).

Don't believe me? Just get out calc or bc and try
  ((2^128/10^14)/(60*60*24*365))

I don't think anyone will be brute force cracking AES with 128 bit
keys any time soon, and I doubt they will ever be brute forcing AES
with 256 bit keys unless very new and unanticipated technologies
arise.

Now, it is entirely possible that someone will come up with a much
smarter attack against AES than brute force. I'm just speaking of how
bad brute force is. The fact that brute force is so bad is why people
go for better attacks, and even the A5/1 attackers do not use brute
force.

I'd suggest that Allen should be a bit more careful when doing back of
the envelope calculations...

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com