Cruising the stacks and finding stuff

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com
Mon Apr 21 13:43:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:02:28PM -0700, Allen wrote:

> Granted A5/1 is known to be very weak, but how much weaker than
> AES-128? Ten orders of magnitude? I haven't a clue ...

This is usually the point where I stop reading. Of course 10 orders of
magnitude is ~33 bits, so unless the A5 attacks crack a cipher with ~95
bits security, the estimate is grossly wrong.

If (generously) A5 is 64 bits of work, AES is ~20 orders of magnitude
stronger.

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify