debunking snake oil

Vin McLellan vin at theworld.com
Mon Sep 3 16:27:22 EDT 2007

Responding to Marcos el Ruptor's  allegation that the SecurID was
"snake oil," Paul Walker queried him and the Listocracy:

>> quick Google
>> Do you have

Vin McLellan (me) responded:

>> > I'd also be interested in any evidence that the SecurID has been cracked.
>> >
>> > Any credible report would have the immediate attention of tens of
>> > thousands of RSA installations. Not to speak of EMC/RSA. itself, for
>> > which I have been a consultant for many years.

Thor Lancelot quoted that, and erupted with sanctimonious umbrage:

>>That's right, you have.  As I recall, the last time you posted here was
>>when you tried to defend RSA's decision to sell no-human-interaction
>>tokens.  At that time, I asked you whether you were posting for yourself
>>or whether someone at RSA had asked you to post here, and you declined
>>to respond.
>>
>>I think it's important that we know, when flaws in commercial
>>cryptographic products are being discussed, what the interests of the
>>parties to the discussion are.  So, I'll ask again, as I did last time:
>>when you post here, both in this instance and in past instances, is it
>>at your own behest, or that of RSA?

This is puerile.  One moderator is not enough? Now you want to set
yourself up as the Inquisition to vet for ideological purity?  No one
at RSA (or EMC, now RSA's parent firm) even knows about this
discussion, you ninny. Who would care?

In three decades online, I have never posted a message in which I did
not clearly indicate if a company or organization -- the subject of
the discussion, or a firm with an interest in the topic -- was a
commercial client of mine. (Not everyone, even in this forum, has
been so fastidious.)

I've been an independent consultant on public policy and market
development to RSA, off and on, for nearly 20 years. I'm really proud
of my minor role in the Crypto Wars.  Over that time, I've certainly
also made my bones as an informal evangelist for RSA products,
services, and policies as well.

When I can, I try to offer explanations about RSA products when
questions about them pop up in the Net's public forums.  (I've done
the same for various other vendors, some clients, when I knew
enough.)  I know a bit about industry history -- I even did a stint
as IBM's historian -- so I occasionally offer my version when I feel
the revisionists have things tied up in absurdist knots. If I offer
an opinion, it's my own.  If I describe what RSA has done, it is an
accurate report, AFAIK.

I know basically what any major RSA corporate customer knows. EMC
issues its own policy statements and press releases. I don't speak
for RSA or EMC, and no one there edits what I write.  Corporations,
however, don't communicate well on the Net. I have the freedom to
make casual comments, debate, where corporate committees do not.
Sometimes, due to NDA constraints, I can't speak up -- but I never
fly under false flags, nor do I lie.

I expect that any message in which I acknowledge a consulting link
with a vendor will be taken with a proverbial grain of salt -- but
typically, professionals will also accept claims of fact as
provisionally valid, and will listen to arguments if they are
sensibly made. You reap what you sow. It usually works out, but not
always. Sometimes I screw up.  Sometimes I run into zealots who
believe only certain voices should be heard.

I suspect that few objective readers will take my claims of fact
about the SecurID, compare them against Ruptor's allegations that the
SecurID is unsafe or cryptographically compromised, and not credit my
facts.  All the better if they choose to look further into what Mr.
Lancelot describes -- with his fabled objectivity -- as this
discussion of "flaws in [a] commercial cryptographic product."

Would the interests of this forum, or it's readers, be better served
if no one could present more complete, or more accurate, facts in
response to Marcos el Ruptor's allegations of SecurID insecurity?

Was it unclear to anyone, other than Mr. Lancelot, that I have a
commercial association with RSA -- and, perhaps, a better than
average knowledge of the facts relevant to the issue raised?

Despite Lancelot's insinuations to the contrary, I'm certain that
most readers, here as elsewhere, would rather make a judgements about
contentious issues with more facts --even facts supplied by people
who acknowledge they work with a vendor -- rather than less facts.

(With regard to the SID800 furor that Mr. Lancelot refers to, I just
didn't have time to get into a prolonged flame-fest with Thor, last
fall, when I posted an explanation of what RSA was offering as new
option in it's hybrid SecurIDs: USB plugs with both local storage and
a microchip, and a displayed SecurID token-code LCD. The
controversial part was a site-selectable option which allowed a local
client to pull a SecurID token-code from the USB plug on demand, just
as it could access typical smartcard functions from the USB. [On
this, I did go back to RSA product managers to learn more about what
the product entailed.]

(I argued that RSA's customers had asked for it, for sites in
transition from OTP to PKI, and that their risk analysis should be
respected. That risk, I also noted, seemed no greater than with a PKI
smartcard, where a client or the OS can also access the smartcard for
authentication and other PKI functions. There was no "secret
vulnerability," and no "locked-in" choices: RSA itself offers a
multitude of alternative authentication schemes, some more robust, some less.

(Unfortunately, this was one of those funny moments in IT history
where a vendor, making one in a chain of product development
decisions, finds that it has deeply offended a cadre of tech savants.
Some seemed to feel that RSA was pissing in the holy grail by
offering yet another SecurID product choice that traded relative
security for more flexibility. I could empathize, actually. I felt
something similar a decade back, when RSA first offer token-emulation
code, OTP generation in software, in addition to its SecurID hardware
tokens. I argued against it for years. Over the years, however, the
clearest message from the authentication market is that customers
demand an array of options. No one tech fits all environs.

(For all that, the post that Mr. Lancelot recalls with such rancor
was not my best effort. It was originally written for other forums,
where there were lot of confused RSA customers online in a big mix of
technical and executive talent. I didn't take the time to craft a
more concise version for Cryptography, as I should have.  If I had, I
would have omitted a lot of the broader-context stuff that Mr.
Lancelot and others read as marketing fluff. We would have still
disagreed, but perhaps less so. As an explanation, it was very
helpful elsewhere -- but here the reaction quickly degenerated into
absolutist declarations about SecurID product purity and ad hominem
attacks. I was, frankly, too busy to deal with it.)

It's a lazy Labor Day here in the States; not a bad day to defend a
career. Overall, for what its worth, I'm quite proud of my long
association with RSA. I've been a part of its history, and it's been
a lot of fun. I feel I've contributed something useful to the
industry and to the Net.  YMMV.

Suerte,
            _Vin