Elcomsoft trying to patent faster GPU-based password cracker

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Fri Oct 26 12:36:47 EDT 2007

Ilya Levin wrote:
> I'm not affiliated with Elcomsoft and don't know their real
> intentions, but what they are trying to do is perfectly reasonable.
> Once they release a commercial product with such feature it is only a
> matter of time until Microsoft or some other patent troll will run for
> a patent and start suing. So, having the patent beforehand will
> address this matter. It still would be beneficial even if Elcomsoft
> will fail this patent application, because it will make any future
> such applications disputable.

I never understand these long threads about patents.  They always follow
the same course.  I address the following to the whole list, not just you.

Fact: Most patents get granted, even for things you might consider
trivial.  Instead of complaining about it, work for patent reform.  How
about an open review process where the public can submit prior art via
the web?  EU patents face a similar challenge period.  So go help make
this happen!

Fact: Most patents are never used, meaning no lawsuit is filed against
someone based on infringement.  Most are kept in reserve in case the
company is sued for their product infringing something else or for
negotiating leverage in business deals.

Given these two things, it makes little sense to whine about a single
patent on an obscure mailing list.  Instead, go do something about the
process as a whole.

--
Nate