ITU-T recommendations for X.509v3 certificates

Aram Perez aramperez at mac.com
Tue Nov 6 22:11:44 EST 2007

Hi Florian,

> I'm looking for a halfway self-contained set of ITU-T recommendations
> which are relevant for implementing X.509v3 certificates.  The
> references in RFC 3280 appear to be incomplete; for instance, a
> reference for ASN.1 itself is missing.

The ITU recently started allowing free downloads of all their
standards. The ASN.1 standards have been free for download for several
years. You can download them at <http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-X/en>.

> Or is it unreasonable to expect that the specs match what is actually
> needed for interoperability with existing implementations (mostly in
> the
> TLS, S/MIME area)?

I can't help you there. You can see my opinion on this issue towards
the middle of Peter Gutmann's page at <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/
 >.

Regards,
Aram Perez