The bank fraud blame game

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sun Jul 1 17:35:03 EDT 2007

* Ian G.:

> Banks are the larger and more informed party.

But not as far as client-side fraudulent activity is concerned.  After
all, the attacked systems are not under their administrative control.

> They need to provide systems that are reasonable given the situation
> (anglo courts generally take this line, when pushed, I'm unsure what
> continental courts would do with that logic).

We have courts that are traditionally bank-friendly, and courts that
aren't.  While we do not heavily rely on case law, it's a bit of luck
which one sets the precedent (which will eventually help to shape
legislation).

And what's worse, the situation is so unstable that a case that gets
decided in favor of one party might actually end up shifting the risks
to the other party in the long run because the environment keeps
changing rapidly.

> Customers aren't in any position to dictate security requirements to
> banks.

And vice versa.

It might even happen that we see competion from foreign, EU-based
banks that offer transactions without the safeguards German banks have
agreed to among each other.  We'll see if this increase in convenience
turns out to be a major selling point.

> Unfortunately for the banks, there is a vast body of evidence that
> we knew and they knew or should have known that the PC was insecure
> [1].

I think the extent to which end users, hardware and software
manufacturers, and ISPs don't care about compromised machines was a
real surprise.  If there's malware on the PC, it's not just banking
that is affected.  You'd expect people to do something about it, but
no one does without significant external pressure.

And if you look closely at which attacks security experts predict (and
not just self-proclaimed ones!), and which actually materialize, there
are significant differences.  These differences are usually mulled
over by ambiguous terminology, but the gap is there.

> So, by fielding a system -- online commerce -- with a known
> weakness, they took responsibility for the fraud (from all places).

They didn't build the Internet, they didn't provide the PC and its
software, they don't even run the most-frequented online commerce
applications.  But in a moment of weakness, they started to take
responsibility.  And the real difficulties began.

For a rare security success story, look at how ISPs manage to sell a
completely insecure product which puts their customers at significant
risk, and take virtually no blame for it.  And technologically, banks
are not that different from mail providers.  They just pass around
messages.  Why should they be responsible for their content, if ISPs
aren't?

> Now they are in the dilemma.  The customer can't provide evidence of
> the fraud, because the system fielded doesn't support it (it's login
> authentication not transaction authorisation).

Non-digital crime faces the same problem.  You haven't got a
cryptographically secured audit trail, either.  But clues can still be
found.

> [1] To my knowledge, continental banks knew of the risks and acted in
> the 90s, then scaled it down because the risks proved overstated.
> Brit banks knew of the risks and didn't care.  American banks didn't
> care.

The American banking system is mainly protected by its obsolescence.
It's not an end-to-end transaction system, unlike the European ones.

> [2] Again, continental banks are shifting to SMS authorisation
> (dual-channel) ... Brit banks are unsure what to do ...

The new APACS standard should be a huge leap forward for the UK.
AFAIK, it includes the limited form of transaction signing that is
possible within the constraints.  Of course, it's still not foolproof,
but the non-fools can actually detect a compromised terminal.