The bank fraud blame game

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jul 1 07:02:28 EDT 2007

dan at geer.org writes:

>This is *not* a power play by banks, the Trilateral Commission, or the Gnomes
>of Zurich.  It is the first echo of a financial thunderclap.  As, oddly, I
>said only yesterday, I think that big ticket Internet transactions have
>become inadvisable and will become more so.  I honestly think that the party
>could be over for e-commerce, with eBay Motors as its apogee.

I've said roughly the same in a talk on the commercial malware industry that
I'll be giving at Defcon next month (normally I'd have the slides online to
point people to, but since I haven't given the talk yet you'll have to wait a
bit, sorry).  The malware industry is several years (at least) ahead of
anything that the defenders can produce at the moment.  So while US banks
still haven't (after years of criticism) taken even the most basic step of
using SSL on their login pages, the malware industry has things like the grams
eGold siphoner, which defeats any currently known browser security mechanism,
all ready to pull out and deploy.  While the defenders are struggling to keep
up with the latest malware (including some which are effectively undetectable
using current technology), the malware authors are getting their UI designers
to design flashy-looking skins for their botnet controllers and providing
video demos of their products in action.  The only countermeasure seems to be
to relegate PCs to being untrusted network middleboxes and run the financial
portions of all transactions on single-function external devices with built-in
pin-pads and displays.

(The usage model is that you do the UI portion on the PC, but perform the
actual transaction on the external device, which has a two-line LCD display
for source and destination of transaction, amount, and purpose of the
transaction.  All communications enter and leave the device encrypted, with
the PC acting only as a proxy.  Bill of materials shouldn't be more than about
$20).

Peter.