OT: SSL certificate chain problems

Travis H. travis+ml-cryptography at subspacefield.org
Tue Jan 23 21:47:26 EST 2007

Hi,

This is not really typical of the traffic on this list, hence the OT.

I send it because I think this is one of the few places where I'll
find some people with deep understanding of SSL certs.

Recently I had an issue where Google checkout would not accept an
SSL certificate because Apache didn't present the entire hierarchy,
just the site certificate itself.  The CA was Thawte.  What Google
said was that many browsers supply missing certs as needed, but
apparently their software did not.

The fix would seem to be easy; just put the right CA root cert in the
SSLCACertFile directive. or point to the directory with SSLCACertPath.
However, I've tried over and over with various root CA certs
downloaded from Thawte, and with one intermediate CA cert, and various
combinations thereof, but with no sucess.

The troubleshooting command line Google gave us was:

openssl s_client -connect www.domain.com:443 -showcerts < /dev/null

[...]

Which shows:
depth=0 /C=US/ST=California/L=Los Angeles/O=Company, LLC/OU=COMPANY, LLC/CN=www.domain.com
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 /C=US/ST=California/L=Los Angeles/O=Company, LLC/OU=COMPANY, LLC/CN=www.domain.com
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify return:1
depth=0 /C=US/ST=California/L=Los Angeles/O=Company, LLC/OU=COMPANY, LLC/CN=www.domain.com
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
CONNECTED(00000003)
---
Certificate chain
 0 s:/C=US/ST=California/L=Los Angeles/O=Company, LLC/OU=COMPANY, LLC/CN=www.domain.com
   i:/C=ZA/O=Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd./CN=Thawte SGC CA
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
[...]
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
---
Server certificate
subject=/C=US/ST=California/L=Los Angeles/O=Company, LLC/OU=COMPANY, LLC/CN=www.domain.com
issuer=/C=ZA/O=Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd./CN=Thawte SGC CA
---
No client certificate CA names sent
---
---
New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
Server public key is 1024 bit
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1
    Cipher    : DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
    Session-ID: 0DD3301C8B8AF7BD3706A991475B22580AA32FCF85A141D753E2F051A691ED86
    Session-ID-ctx:
    Master-Key: ...
    Key-Arg   : None
    Start Time: 1169584627
    Timeout   : 300 (sec)
    Verify return code: 21 (unable to verify the first certificate)
---
DONE

I can't seem to get that certificate chain to have any contents other
than what you see above, no matter what I do, and hence can't get rid
of the Verify return code: 21... does anyone have any advice on what
to do next?  URLs or references to other mailing lists welcome.
--
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.''
-- Albert Einstein -><- <URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>