private credential/ecash thread on slashdot (Re: announce: credlib library with brands and chaum credentials)

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Mon Feb 26 17:25:12 EST 2007

At 04:40 PM 2/20/2007, Adam Back wrote:
>There is quite some underinformed speculation as critique on the
>thread...  Its interesting to see people who probably understand SSL,
>SMIME and stuff at least at a power user if not programmer level, try
>to make logical leaps about what must be wrong or limited about
>unlinkable credential schemes.  Shows the challenges faced in
>deploying this stuff.  Cant deploy what people dont understand!

I certainly relate with that. Much of what is widely deployed fits that
category with me. But then, look at how successful fiat money, paper money,
is. That is certainly not understood by most, but it does not have the
problem of lack of deployment. So maybe trust and understanding are not
related with each other and we need to understand this point better.

In actuality, most stuff is not understood. Who understands how their cars
work, or their airplane rides across the country, or their computers,
banks, medical systems and on and on?

I say Adam has a good point, but maybe it's the wrong one. :)

Steve