New digital bearer cash site launched

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sat Feb 24 08:58:03 EST 2007

I read some of the docs and ecache appears to be based on HMAC
tickets, plus mixes.  The problem I see is that you have to trust the
mix.  Now the documentation does mention that they anticipate 3rd
party mixes, but still you have to trust those mixes also.

And as we know from mixmaster etc., there are attacks on mixes such as
flooding.

So it seems to me they would achieve much stronger anonymity, using a
blinding based ecash system such as Chaum (patent expired) or Brands.

In this way the anonymity set would be with all of the coins issued
since coin-epoch start, rather than with the mixes used.  And there
would be no trust concerns as the blinding protocols dont require
trust in any servers (even the bank and merchant in collusion cant
identify a coin with its withdrawer).

Adam