debunking snake oil

travis+ml-cryptography at subspacefield.org travis+ml-cryptography at subspacefield.org
Thu Aug 30 21:43:59 EDT 2007

I think it might be fun to start up a collection of snake oil
cryptographic methods and cryptanalytic attacks against them.  It
would be more fun for me than crossword puzzles, and educational for
all the would-be cryptographers.

I'd like to start with the really simple stuff; classical
cryptography, systems with clean and obvious "breaks".  Although I
find the magazine entertaining to read, I'm finding that 2600 Magazine
is a particularly good source of this brand of snake oil.

So, when you find a particularly obnoxious dilettante going on about
his bone-headed unbreakable scheme, please forward it to me and I'll
see about breaking it, and then publish the schemes and the results on
a web site for publicly "educating" them.  Honestly, there's probably
no better way to educate people than to see schemes submitted and
broken, and I'm not sure there's a good site for it, although there
are plenty of books.  Unfortunately, these types won't be bothered to
buy books since they already know everything.

If you have a break of some scheme you wish to contribute, please
do forward me a URL and I'll link to it.

Perhaps this should be a wiki?

I'm revamping my web site, so the crypto wiki has been down
temporarily but will be back up.
--
<URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/> -><- dharma <>< advaita
For a good time on my UBE blacklist, email john at subspacefield.org.