FBI "point and click" wiretapping.

David G. Koontz david_koontz at xtra.co.nz
Thu Aug 30 00:55:26 EDT 2007

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> The blogs of Matt Blaze, Steve Bellovin and Bruce Schneier all linked
> to this article today. It is rather disturbing.
>
> http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2007/08/wiretap

I downloaded the docs this morning and poke through them.
http://www.eff.org/flag/061708CKK/

One thing to keep in mind, is that the DCS-3000 is the lowest security
system in the family.  I looked for security vulnerabilities right away,
and it looks like it could be exploited by an insider.  It does use the
DCSNET which is purported to be encrypted.  The (Cisco) routers
interconnecting the system components use static routes. Lots of security
through obscurity, not letting the public  know what software is used for
remote administration.http://www.eff.org/flag/061708CKK/070207_dcs01.pdf ,
page 43:

7.2.4.4.3 Remote Diagnostics

    The SBIT team utilizes| redacted    |o remotely control the DCS
3000 systems deployed in the ERF and the other locations for
maintenance and repair purposes. The usernames and passwords used on
the system are strictly controlled and only provided on a need-to-know
basis| redacted     | configured to utilize the security mechanism
available with the software, including the|   redacted               |
mechanism and other security mechanisms.

 --

I don't think you can extrapolate insecurity forward to the DCS-5000 used
for national security intercepts.  That system handles classified

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-3379543/FBI-Will-Use-Unique-New.html

Publication: PR Newswire
Publication Date: 22-OCT-03
Delivery: Immediate Online Access

Article Excerpt
HERNDON, Va., Oct. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Sprint announced today that it has
been awarded a new 36-month contract to provide secure IP Virtual Private
Network (VPN) services to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) sites across
the country to support the FBI's Digital Collection System Network (DCSNet).
The VPN services will be delivered using the "government- grade" Sprint
peerless IP network, a unique national network that has...

Apparently as a result of some concerns by law enforcement that their
surveillance targets were changing behavior as soon as they were being
targeted by Carnivore, (this came out shortly after 9/11).  Seems running
the system was contracted out to a company in Virginia, where at least some
personnel apparently had other agendas:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,40747,00.html (no longer valid, from
2001) see
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/Israeli-Spying-Part-3.htm

The manufacturers have continuing access to the computers so they can
service them and keep them free of glitches.  This process was authorized by
the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, or CALEA.
Senior government officials have now told Fox News that while CALEA made
wiretapping easier, it has led to a system that is seriously vulnerable to
compromise, and may have undermined the whole wiretapping system.

Indeed, Fox News has learned that Attorney General John Ashcroft and  FBI
Director Robert Mueller were both warned Oct. 18 in a hand-delivered letter
from 15 local, state and federal law enforcement  officials, who complained
that "law enforcement's current  electronic surveillance capabilities are
less effective today than they  were at the time CALEA was enacted."

 --

The flip side of the loss of privacy, the bunnies getting wise when you
bring out the shotgun.