Skype new IT protection measure

David G. Koontz david_koontz at xtra.co.nz
Mon Aug 20 19:44:17 EDT 2007

Peter Thermos wrote:
> Interesting comment from Skype:
>
> "The disruption was triggered by a massive restart of our users' computers
> across the globe within a very short timeframe as they re-booted after
> receiving a routine set of patches through Windows Update."
>
> and
>
> "We can confirm categorically that no malicious activities were attributed
> or that our users' security was not, at any point, at risk."
> http://heartbeat.skype.com/2007/08/what_happened_on_august_16.html

Or as the New Zealand Herald put it:

Windows blamed for Skype crash - 21 Aug 2007 - NZ Herald: Technology News
from New Zealand and around the World

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10458978

"Skype has now identified and already introduced a number of improvements to
its software to ensure that our users will not be similarly affected in the
unlikely possibility of this combination of events recurring," said the blog.

 --

If the unlike event is referring to Windows users automatic updates, I
wouldn't bet on it.