a new way to build quantum computers?

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Sat Aug 18 20:35:50 EDT 2007

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33425/118/
>
> "Ann Arbor (MI) - University of Michigan scientists have discovered a
> breakthrough way to utilize light in cryptography. The new technique
> can crack even complex codes in a matter of seconds. Scientists believe
> this technique offers much advancement over current solutions and could
> serve to foil national and personal security threats if employed."...
>
> I'll let those who know more physics comment in detail; from reading
> the article, it appears to lead to a way to construct quantum computers.

Which means, if Moore's Law still applies, that in a few years no
current code created by one of the three letter agencies will be
safe from prying.

So what is the statute of limitations on invasion of privacy
suits? Or, if it has expired, then me may have proof available
that people weren't crying wolf.

I've always loved the old saw, "Be careful what you wish for, you
just might get it." My addendum is that you will probably not
like the unintended consequences.

Best,

Allen