[Cfrg] Applications of target collisions: Pre or post-dating MD5-based RFC 3161 time-stamp tokens

Weger, B.M.M. de b.m.m.d.weger at TUE.nl
Thu Oct 26 15:20:59 EDT 2006

Hi Steven,

> So how close are we getting to first or second preimage attacks?

As far as we know, not one bit closer.
Best known attack on MD5 preimage resistance still is brute force.

You may interpret our result as enlarging the applicability of
collision attacks. In that sense the gap to preimage attacks has
diminished. But we have no measure available to tell by how much.

Grtz,
Benne de Weger