Status of SRP

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed May 31 01:32:43 EDT 2006

* James A. Donald:

> The obvious solution to the phishing crisis is the widespread
> deployment of SRP, but this does not seem to happening.  SASL-SRP was
> recently dropped.  What is the problem?

There is no way to force an end user to enter a password only over
SRP.  That's why SRP is not effective against phishing (even the
mimicry variant).  In that regard, the password input field was a huge
mistake.  Fortunately, it doesn't matter because today, we must assume
that the client is thoroughly compromised, which means that entering
passwords over SRP isn't safe, either.