Status of SRP

Lance James lancej at securescience.net
Tue May 30 23:03:29 EDT 2006

Lance James wrote:
> James A. Donald wrote:
>
>> The obvious solution to the phishing crisis is the widespread
>> deployment of SRP, but this does not seem to happening.  SASL-SRP was
>> recently dropped.  What is the problem?

I want to clarify, because by typing to fast, i think my variables may
be confusing since I was reading the spec of SRP from two diff docs.

u and x in my sentence was username and password not x being typical
derived secret.
what it should be is u and p. please note corrections.

Thanks.

> I disagree here, I don't think this will stop phishing for many reasons.
> Please explain how it would. It will stop "man-in-the-middle" attacks on
> the protocol, but phishers aren't attacking the protocols themselves.
>
> It's still single-auth and I can still obtain the user password via
> phishing. Please correct me if I'm wrong but phishing is before this
> protocol will be accessed.
>
> if Mallory convinces Carol to log into a spoofed site that looks like
> Steve not running SRP, then u and x are obtained by Mallory. Mallory
> simply logs into Steve with U and X.
>
> In SRP what is preshared is g^x where x = H(s,p) where s is a salt and p
> is the password.
>
> p would be a weakness here because the user knows it, and in phishing,
> if the user knows it, the user is vulnerable.
>
> My 2 cents.

Best Regards,
Lance James
Secure Science Corporation