Phil Zimmerman and voice encryption; a Skype problem?

Adler, Joseph jadler at verisign.com
Thu May 25 12:26:59 EDT 2006

Hi Paul,

You left out one option: that Tony Rutkowski was misquoted by the Times.
I checked with Tony, and this is, in fact, what happened. Here is his
full response:

------------

Since the external security lists seem to be buzzing with discourse
about Phil Zimmerman's VoIP encryption product as covered by John
Markoff in the NY times on Monday, and my quote about German
capabilities to decrypt, let me explain the context and what was
actually said.

John (who I've known for several decades) called my cellphone Sunday
morning and said he was writing an article on Zimmerman's software and
his making it available, and asked from a CALEA standpoint, whether this
was covered.  I explained that the recent FCC CALEA orders on VoIP
presently exempted P2P VoIP, so that Zimmerman's product was outside the
requirements.  In multiple roles, including formal filings and legal
forums, I deal with this subject all the time.

I also mentioned, however, that CALEA requirements exist worldwide, and
that German officials at a recent Cyprus standards conference on lawful
interception had stated that they "have a Skype solution."  I explained
to John that most other countries have far more extensive CALEA like
requirements, and that Germany among others were likely to impose their
"solutions."

In the article that was published, my domestic coverage explanation was
attributed to someone else, and my "German solution" explanation was
morphed into a statement that they can decrypt Skype content.   The
context of the actual discussion, however, was regulatory requirements.
Whether the German government can or cannot decrypt Skype content is not
known, and indeed the details of their regulatory requirements are also
unknown.

--tony