Secure phones from VectroTel?

John Ioannidis ji at cs.columbia.edu
Tue May 23 13:45:15 EDT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:19:38AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Following the links from a /. story about a secure(?) mobile phone
> VectroTel in Switzerland is selling, I came across the fact that this
> firm sells a full line of encrypted phones.
>
> http://www.vectrotel.ch/

Too little, too late.  What are they doing, running a V.32bis modem
over the GSM analog channel? That would account for the worse voice
quality and the delays in the spec.

A friend showed me yesterday his EVDO-enabled, WinCE handheld, which
he was using to make phone calls over Skype (not that Skype is secure,
but that's another story).

/ji