Crypto hardware with secure key storage

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at aei.mpg.de
Mon May 22 10:44:26 EDT 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006, John Ioannidis wrote:
> Speaking of bulk encryption cards... does the linux 2.6 kernel support
> any?  There is a reference to a "crypto framework" in the
> configuration menus, but as is typical of linux, there are no man
> pages or other documentation related to it, and I don't feel like
> reading source code.  (/usr/src/linux*/Documentation/crypto says next to nothing, and the two URLs in the file are not working)

If you're willing to switch from GNU/Linux to other free OSs, you
can get excellent hardware-crypto support.  In particular, OpenBSD
(http://www.openbsd.org) supports a number of crypto boards/boxes,
detailed on their crypto page (http://www.openbsd.org/crypto.html).
They provide nice documentation, in particular they have _very_ good
man pages.

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply" <jthorn at aei.mpg-zebra.de>
   Max-Planck-Institut fuer Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut),