picking a hash function to be encrypted

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Sun May 14 20:56:17 EDT 2006

On 5/14/06, Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com> wrote:
> Security is fragile. Deviating from well understood primitives may be
> good research, but is not good engineering. Especially fragile are:

Point taken.  This is not for a production system, it's a research thing.

> TLS (available via OpenSSL) provides integrity and authentication, any
> reason to re-invent the wheel? It took multiple iterations of design
> improvements to get TLS right, even though it was designed by experts.

IIUC, protocol design _should_ be easy, you just perform some
finite-state analysis and verify that, assuming your primitives are
ideal, no protocol-level operations break it.  The 7th Usenix Security
Symposium has a paper where the authors built up SSL 3.0 to find out
what attack each datum was meant to prevent.  They used mur-phi, which
has been used for VLSI verification (i.e. large numbers of states).
AT&T published some code to do it too (called SPIN).  It's effective
if the set of attacks you're protecting against is finite and
enumerable (for protocol design, I think it should be; reflection,
replay, reorder, suppress, inject, etc.).  I wouldn't consider
fielding a protocol design without sanity-checking it using such a
tool.  Was there an attack against TLS which got past FSA, or did the
experts not know about FSA?
--
"Curiousity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect" -- Steven Wright
Security Guru for Hire http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/ -><-