Get a boarding pass, steal someone's identity

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon May 8 14:11:24 EDT 2006

>Have you noticed that airline tickets are once again de-facto
>transferable?  If you print your own boarding pass at home, you can
>digitally change the name on it before you print.

Lots of us have noticed that, print one version for the person at
security with a name that matches the ID, print another version for
the person at the gate with a name that matches the reservation and
the bar code.

But actually, you don't even have to do that.  When I travel with my
wife and daughter, whose names are completely unlike mine, I always
put the boarding passes in a stack with one of theirs on top and hand
the person my ID.  I would say at least half the time they don't even
bother to look and see if one of the other passes has a name that
matches the ID.

R's,
John