Get a boarding pass, steal someone's identity

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun May 7 14:14:12 EDT 2006

>  http://www.guardian.co.uk/idcards/story/0,,1766266,00.html
>
>The story may be exaggerated but it feels quite real. Certainly I've
>found similar issues in the past.

It sounds real to me, with an airline whose security is slightly but
not greatly worse than typical.

I buy a lot of online tickets in the US and I believe that although I
can enter whatever frequent flyer number I want when I buy a ticket, I
always have to provide a PIN to get access to any history or account
info.  But I don't lose my PINs (being a bad user I use the same PIN
many places) so I haven't looked to see how hard it would be to fake
out the various password recovery schemes.

R's,
John