what's wrong with HMAC?

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Mon May 1 22:12:24 EDT 2006

Travis H. wrote:

> Ross Anderson once said cryptically,
>
>> HMAC has a long story attched to it - the triumph of the
>> theory community over common sense
>

> He wouldn't expand on that any more... does anyone have an idea of
> what he is referring to?

I suggest that you read the theory, make your own mind, and share your
opinion with us.

Perhaps Mr. Anderson read the theory, made his own mind, and shared his
opinion with whoever was listening or reading the above citation.

I recall having read some theory, made my own mind, and Mr. Anderson's
citation above wouldn't be too far from my opinion at that time.

All theories are equal, but some theories are more equal than others ...

Have fun!

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.