webcam encryption beats quasar encryption

leichter_jerrold at emc.com leichter_jerrold at emc.com
Fri Mar 31 10:36:03 EST 2006

| I think the "Rip Van Winkle cipher" was mentioned in Schneier's Applied
| Cryptography.  Also, I vaguely recall another news story (1999?) that
| reported on an encryption technique that hypothesized a stream of random
| bits generated by an orbiting satellite.
Probably Rabin's work on beacons.  It explored the results of assuming
a universally available oracle providing the same stream of random bits
to everyone.  (If you think of the randomized Turing machine model
as a TM plus an oracle giving that machine a random bit stream, you
can think of this as a bunch of communicating TM's that get *the
same* random bit stream.)
							-- Jerry