[Cfrg] HMAC-MD5

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Thu Mar 30 14:10:11 EST 2006

I (Hal Finney) wrote:
> A couple of (rather uninformed) thoughts regarding HMAC-MD5:  First,
> how could collision attacks be extended to preimage attacks?  And second,
> how would preimage attacks affect HMAC-MD5?

I have to apologize for that message; I was totally confused particularly
in the second part where I discussed the impact of an MD5 preimage break
on HMAC-MD5.  What I described was completely wrong and had nothing to do
with an attack on HMAC-MD5.  Luckily the message was so long and poorly
written that hopefully few people were able to follow it well enough to
be misled.  Again, apologies.

Hal Finney