Status of opportunistic encryption

Thomas Harold tgh at tgharold.com
Sun Jun 4 11:03:35 EDT 2006

James A. Donald wrote:

> Attacks on DNS are common, though less common than other
> attacks, but they are by scammers, not TLA agencies,
> perhaps because they are so easily detected.
>
> All logons should move to SRP to avoid the phishing
> problem, as this is the most direct and strongest
> solution for phishing for shared secrets, and phishing
> for shared secrets is the biggest problem we now have.
>
> Encrypting DNS is unacceptable, because the very large
> number of very short messages make public key encryption
> an intolerable overhead.  A DNS message also has to fit
> in a single datagram.

IIRC, from following the development of SPF (which uses rather lengthy
DNS data records).  A DNS message that fits inside of a single datagram
can be sent via UDP, but if it spills over, the DNS server has to setup
a TCP connection.

So longer DNS messages are allowed, but they are either expensive (TCP
vs UDP) or not supported by all implementations?

(Did I get that right?)

I do suspect at some point that the lightweight nature of DNS will give
way to a heavier, encrypted or signed protocol.  Economic factors will
probably be the driving force (online banking).