Status of SRP

Beryllium Sphere LLC 1dxqk0p02 at sneakemail.com
Sat Jun 3 22:43:39 EDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Florian Weimer fw-at-deneb.enyo.de |Perry's Cryptography mailing list| < ...> wrote:

      We  have no real-world studies how
    users make their day-to-day trust decisions when using the Internet.

We do have a beginning, in the study done by Garfinkel, Miller and Wu at MIT
(http://groups.csail.mit.edu/uid/projects/phishing/chi-security-toolbar.pdf).
It's lab data so not strictly "real-world", and was really aimed at
checking the effectiveness of anti-phish toolbars (low), but it spun
off some interesting observations that don't contradict anything from
the field. A sample quote: "17 subjects (85%) mentioned in the
interview that the web content looked professional or similar to what
they had seen before."

That paper's list of references is also a useful place to look for
material about trust decisions, especially the Fogg et.al. paper "What
makes Web sites credible?:a report on a large quantitative study". CHI
2001, pp. 61-68.