long-term GPG signing key

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Jan 11 09:22:30 EST 2006

There are a number of differences in key management priorities between
(communication) signature and encryption keys.

For encryption keys:
- you want short lived keys
- you should wipe the keys after at first opportunity
- for archiving you should re-encrypt with storage keys

- you can't detect or prove an encryption key is compromised as the
attacker will just be decrypting documents

For signature keys:

- you want longer lived keys (or two tier keys, one for ceritfying
that is kept offline, and one for signing communications that is
offline) - in fact many applications dont even want signatures they
want authentication (convince the recipient of author and integrity,
but be non-transferable)

- with signature keys if they are compromised and the compromised key
used, there is risk (to the attacker) that the recipient or others can
detect and prove this.

I do agree tho that the relative value of encryption vs signature
depends on teh application.

Adam