cellphones as room bugs

Ian Farquhar (ifarquha) ifarquha at cisco.com
Mon Dec 4 16:15:08 EST 2006

The other problem for this technique is battery life.

Let's assume we can shove a firmware update/hack/whatever into the phone to enable snooping, it's still transmitting when acting
as a bug.  Even if this feature is only enabled when the phone is geolocated somewhere "interesting", the reduction in battery
life is going to be significant.  If your phone has a standby time of days, and you're used to shoving it on the charger rarely,
then suddenly you're doing it several times a day, you're going to notice.  Even if you are the dumb, stupid criminal the
government likes to tell us that surveillance always catches.

I suppose that it could be argued that you could use silence detection etc. to reduce power used, but most phones are pretty
aggressive at power saving already.  I doubt there are huge savings to be made which haven't been implemented already.

Ian.