cellphones as room bugs

John Ioannidis ji at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Dec 3 22:36:58 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 09:26:15PM -0600, Taral wrote:
> That's the same question I have. I don't remember seeing anything in
> the GSM standard that would allow this either.

I'll hazard a guess: mobile providers can send a special type of
message (not sure if it would be classed as an SMS) with various
settings for your phone.  They do that, for example, to set the GPRS
settings.  IN many phones, one of the possible settings is to
automatically answer the phone, without ringing (the feature is used
in some of the hands-free settings).  The user would probably notice
that the phone is in use, but there may be some other trick around
that.

/ji