PKI too confusing to prevent phishing, part 28

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Wed Sep 28 02:19:58 EDT 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> This is an important point.  When *many* people are doing the "wrong"
> thing, the problem isn't the people, it's the mechanism they're being
> asked to use.

Once we have a better solution to the problem, I'll agree. But in the
meantime, I'd say the problem is mismatched expectations.  OS manufacturers
have convinced the public that home computers don't require trained
administrators, and in my experience this just isn't true. Likewise, it's easy
to drive a car, but training is generally required to drive a car safely, and
lots of people still get hurt doing it.

Your statement is a good way to recognize an Elegant solution to a problem,
but some problems don't yet have Elegant solutions, and sometimes the Elegant
solution to a problem isn't practical.

 						-J