Pseudonymity for tor: nym-0.1 (fwd)

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Sun Oct 2 10:55:52 EDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 18:32, Jason Holt wrote:
> Of course, you can put anything you want in the cert, since the
> servers know that my CA only certifies 1 bit of data about users
> (namely, that they only get one cert per scarce resource).

"One per person" is a tough thing to do purely over the internet.  IP
addresses get NATted or reassigned dynamically.  Email addresses are
free in infinite quantity.  Any system that levels penalties on nyms
for bad actions is playing whack-a-mole.  A system in which nyms
accumulate {fame, credit, privilege} for good actions still has a
hope ... as long as those credits can't be granted by an army of
extra nyms of the same person.