RSA-640 factored

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Wed Nov 9 12:33:35 EST 2005

Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 05:27:12PM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure translating complexity into running time is reasonable,
>> but pending other ideas, this is a first sketch.
>>

> It is not reasonable, because the biggest constraint is memory, not
> CPU. Inverting the matrix requires increasingly prohitive quantities
> of RAM. Read the DJB hardware GNFS proposal.

Can we deduct a complexity expression from it, that could be used to
(at least somewhat reliably) predict the cost of cracking RSA-768 or
or RSA-1024, based on the timing information given in this report?
The announcement doesn't say how much memory these machines had,
though, but perhaps that information can be disclosed.

Thanks,
Simon