Microsoft info-cards to use blind signatures?

David Wagner daw at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat May 21 14:17:04 EDT 2005

><http://www.idcorner.org/index.php?p=88>
>The Identity Corner
>Stephan Brands
>
>I am genuinely excited about this
>development, if it can be taken as an indication that Microsoft is getting
>serious about "privacy by design" for identity management. That is a big
>"if," however: indeed, the same Microsoft researcher who came up with the
>patent (hello Dan!) was also responsible for Microsoft e-cash patent no.
>5,768,385 that was granted in 1998 but was never pursued.

What a strange criticism of Microsoft!  Here is something to know about
patents: many companies file patents all the time.  That doesn't mean
they are committing to build a product around every patent they file.
The fact that Microsoft hasn't pursued patent 5,768,385 tells you
essentially nothing about what they are going to do with this patent.

I wouldn't take patent filings as an indicator of intent or of future
business strategy.