how email encryption should work (and how to get it used...)

Amir Herzberg herzbea at macs.biu.ac.il
Wed Mar 30 06:00:35 EST 2005

I think this is a good summary of how it should work, except, that I
don't think messages should be signed by default, only authenticated
(MAC). Users should be clearly aware of making a non-repudable statement.

Plus, it may be preferable to use something like matasignatures.org to
ensure authenticated e-mail does not alarm recipient with non-compliant
e-mail clients.

A missing element is motivation for getting something like this
deployed... I think spam could offer such motivation; and, I strongly
believe that a cryptographic protocol to penalize spammers could be one
of the most important tools against spam. I've presented such a simple
crypto protocol (SICS) in SCN'04 [available off my site], and now work
on open-source implementation (with student Jonathan Levi) of an
improved version (SICSv2...), to be published soon. [I can send draft to
experts willing to provide feedback...]

Best, Amir Herzberg