Secure Science issues preview of their upcoming block cipher

Lance James lancej at securescience.net
Fri Mar 25 16:24:52 EST 2005

David Wagner wrote:
> Seecure Science Corporation writes:
>
>>Secure Science is offering a preview of one of the 3 ciphers they will
>>be publishing througout the year. [...] This cipher is [...]
>>provably just as secure as AES-128.
>

> Adam Shostack writes:
>
>>Really?  How does one go about proving the security of a block cipher?
>

> Lance James @ Secure Science Corporation writes:
>
>>We will be proposing 2 hashes as well.
>

> Well, that is completely non-responsive to the point Adam made.
> You used the term "provably".  Where is your proof?
>
> Did you understand the point Adam is making?  In this field, the term
> "provably" means that there you have a mathematical proof.  Do you have
> such a proof?  I'm awfully skeptical....
>
> Will you retract the claim that SS2 is "provably just as secure as AES-128"?

David,

There is a miswording here, we were trying to show that both AES and
CS2-128 are resistant to the same class of attacks. We definitely did
not try to state that they are equivalent.

I recommend reading http://eprint.iacr.org/2004/085.pdf to see for yourself.

-Lance

> As for your future hashes, will you be making similar claims?

Best Regards,
Lance James
Secure Science Corporation
[Have Phishers stolen your customers' logins? Find out with DIA]
https://slam.securescience.com/signup.cgi - it's free!