the limits of crypto and authentication

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 05:50:05 EDT 2005

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> writes:
>
>>* Perry E. Metzger:

>>>Far better would be to have a token with a display attached to the
>>>PC. The token will display a requested transaction to the user and
>>>only sign it if the user agrees. Because the token is a trusted piece
>>>of hardware that the user cannot install software on, it provides a
>>>trusted communications path to the user that the PC itself cannot.
>>
>>On the surface, we already have such technology in Germany (it's
>>optional for bank customers), but there's a drawback: The external
>>device doesn't know anything about the structure of banking
>>transactions, so it relies on the (potentially compromised) host
>>system to send the correct message to display before generating the
>>signature.  Ouch.
>

> That could be fixed. I think the right design for such a device has it
> only respond to signed and encrypted requests from the issuing bank
> directed at the specific device, and only make signed and encrypted
> replies directed only at the specific issuing bank. If anything in
> between can tamper with the communications channel you don't have the
> properties you want out of this.

Not entirely clear what you mean by the "issuing bank" here, but I'm
hoping you don't mean that the bank issues the device - that would be
very tedious.

I also find "directed only at the specific issuing bank" unclear - I
presume you mean encrypted s.t. only the issuing bank can read it? In
which case, you're adding complexity - a relying party has to let the
issuing bank come between it and you to get anywhere. This would
preclude, for example, offline transactions.

As I've said before, I totally agree that the only way to go is to have
signatures made on such a device, but I do think its very important to
design the thing right - and the above isn't sounding right to me.

Cheers,

Ben.