the limits of crypto and authentication

Amir Herzberg herzbea at macs.biu.ac.il
Sun Jul 10 06:02:21 EDT 2005

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> There's been a lot of discussion about how to strengthen cryptography
> and authentication, to get away from problems of phishing, pharming,
> etc.  But such approaches can take you only so far, as this link
> indicates:
>
> http://www.lurhq.com/grams.html
>
> Briefly, it's a Trojan that waits for you to log int o E-Gold, checks
> your balance, and drains your account except for .004 grams of gold.

Steve, thanks. Not really much of surprise, is it? Clearly, a user who
lets malware onto his/her PC, e.g. a VBscript in this case, has lost
control and is open to such attacks.

But... crypto and authentication, imho, are the best tools to prevent
such malware from being installed. Yes, I know, this is far from the
current situation, with corrupted PCs (Zombies) being a very large
fraction (around a third?)...
--
Best regards,

Amir Herzberg

Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science
Bar Ilan University
http://AmirHerzberg.com
Try TrustBar - improved browser security UI:
http://AmirHerzberg.com/TrustBar
Visit my Hall Of Shame of Unprotected Login pages:
http://AmirHerzberg.com/shame