Digital Water Marks Thieves

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Tue Feb 22 11:57:50 EST 2005

> My complaint is against the parroting of patently absurd claims by
> manufacturers (or governments, for that matter) under the guide of
> journalism.
>
> If you need the reason to be concrete, here's one: I might buy this
> magic water and apply it to some of my stuff, figuring I don't have to
> shell out for a second pint because Robert Andrews has assured me the
> thieves can't determine that it's on my Thing-1 but not my Thing-2.

There are tens of thousands of places inside a vehicle that a VIN# can
be stashed.  Sometimes you don't always want the attacker to know where
the marks are.

The point is that the thief should think anything expensive is
protected, by which I mean it's too traceable to fence.  At least right
now, this is working.  Hard to argue with success.

--Dan