Digital Water Marks Thieves

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Fri Feb 18 15:36:29 EST 2005

>>> that is [...] invisible until illuminated by police
>>> officers using ultraviolet light.
>>
>> That's amazing!  How do the tiny particles know that it's not a
>> civilian illuminating them with ultraviolet light?
>>
>> And how does Wired reporter Robert Andrews fail to ask that question?
>
> Why would it matter?
> [...]
> I don't really understand the complaints here.

My complaint is against the parroting of patently absurd claims by
manufacturers (or governments, for that matter) under the guide of
journalism.

If you need the reason to be concrete, here's one: I might buy this
magic water and apply it to some of my stuff, figuring I don't have to
shell out for a second pint because Robert Andrews has assured me the
thieves can't determine that it's on my Thing-1 but not my Thing-2.