link-layer encryptors for Ethernet?

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Wed Feb 9 11:27:26 EST 2005

the internal network was larger than the arpanet/internet just about the
whole time up until about mid-85. all the links leaving physical premise
had to be encrypted ... there was the claim that over half of all
encrypters in the world were on the internal network (and put at least
one of the major products/companies into business). lots of random
comments about about the internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#internalnet

small sample posting about the internal net passing 1000 nodes not long
after internet passed 255 nodes.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/internet.htm#22

one of the big issues in part of this period was getting encrypters on
links that cross national boundaries.