[Clips] Banks Seek Better Online-Security Tools

Peter Clay pete at flatline.org.uk
Tue Dec 13 12:27:07 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 07:29:11PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> For those of you who haven't rolled out a national ID scheme in time,
> there's still the general identity theft problem, but this affects you
> even if you don't use online banking.

Hmm. What's the evidence that national ID schemes reduce credit fraud
(what people normally mean when they say "ID theft")? How does it vary
with the different types of scheme?

I've been opposing the UK scheme recently on the grounds of unreliable
biometrics and the bad idea of putting everyone's information in a
basket from which it can be stolen (in addition to the civil liberties
reasons). My solution to the credit fraud problem is simple: raise the
burden of proof for negative credit reports and pursuing people for
money.

Pete
--
Peter Clay                                   | Campaign for   _  _| .__
                                             | Digital       /  / | |