[Clips] Banks Seek Better Online-Security Tools

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Mon Dec 5 13:29:11 EST 2005

> You know, I'd wonder how many people on this
> list use or have used online banking.
>
> To start the ball rolling, I have not and won't.

Why?  Repudiating transactions is easier than ever.  As a consumer, I
fear technology which is completely secure according to experts, but
which can be broken nevertheless.  The current situation is very
different.  Everybody agrees that online banking is insecure, and in
most markets, it's the banks who swallow the losses, not the consumer
(even those who were very stupid).

For those of you who haven't rolled out a national ID scheme in time,
there's still the general identity theft problem, but this affects you
even if you don't use online banking.