crypto wiki -- good idea, bad idea?

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Tue Dec 13 02:41:18 EST 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> Or should we just stick to wikipedia?  Is it doing a satisfactory job?

Also check out the Cryptography Reader:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiReader/Cryptography

"Matt Crypto" set up an "article (to clean up) of the day" replete with a bar
graph of how "done" he thinks it is.

As to accuracy, there are several authors I respect who keep many of the
crypto articles on their watchlists, so that we notice when people make
changes.

I'm quite happy with a number of the pages in the reader, enough that I point
my students to them and use the figures in my lecture slides.  I like the
intersecting planes in the "secret sharing" article particularly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_sharing

> of work. I proposed a few weeks ago (in the meta-discussion) to do it, but
> was concerned that doing so would step on toes and seem invasive. No one has
> responded to that, not even the people who flagged the article as needing
> work.

An old wikipedia saying is "be bold in updating pages":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:BBIUP

 						-J