online MD5 crack database

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Mon Aug 22 09:30:20 EDT 2005

"Perry E. Metzger" writes:

 | This website has a large database of MD5 hashes of common passwords:
 |
 | http://gdataonline.com/
 |
 | Presumably, as storage continues to get cheaper, this sort of thing
 | will only become easier.
 | None of this is new -- I'm just noting that the trend continues apace.

In 1985 I was told by an MIT professor with DoD
connections and a clearance that certainly no
later than 1979 the folks at Fort Meade had every
possible BSD password indexed by its /etc/passwd
representation.  Reversing a password meant to
simply look up the /etc/password text on-disk to
see what tape it was on and to then read that
tape.

--dan